Seafood and shrimp are probably not the first things you think of when planning a meal that toddlers and kids will like. But pasta is. And this shrimp penne pasta recipe blends the two so perfectly that it is solely responsible for my kids’ love for shrimp.
Related Post: 20 Quick and Toddler Friendly Instant Pot Dinners
When I make shrimp in another recipe, my boys turn their noses up at it (because it’s new). I quickly remind them, “Remember shrimp is in that pasta dish you love with the creamy tomatoes?!” They exclaim, “oh yeah!” and give it a try. Winning.
This shrimp penne pasta recipe is not only easy, but it has all the comfort and deliciousness you need for a well loved family meal. It’s been on rotation in my house for years and I finally decided it needed to be shared with you all. Because I know how tough it can be to find recipes. Especially one that your kids will like, and you will love as well.
Don’t let the ease of it fool you, it packs lots of robust flavor in a short amount of cooking time. The sauce alone is mouthwatering! Most importantly, this shrimp penne pasta can be easily thrown together on a weeknight after work.
Shrimp Penne Pasta
- 1 lb Shrimp (raw, peeled)
- 1 lb Penne Pasta
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 cube Chicken Bouillon (can be replaced with vegetable or omitted completely)
- 3 tsp Basil
- 3 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup White Cooking Wine
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook per package instructions. About 8-10 minutes for al dente.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, shrimp, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Cook stirring frequently until the shrimp turn pink. About 2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon or tongs- remove shrimp and set aside.
- Add the can of tomatoes, chicken bouillon cube, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes (if using). I do not use the red pepper flakes anymore because I have young kids that don't like spicy, but it adds a nice kick. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Make sure the bouillon cube completely dissolves.
- Add the white wine, heavy cream, and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to medium-low. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, the cooked shrimp, cooked pasta and remaining salt and pepper (if needed). Toss together until all ingredients are coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese on top.
Get Access to a FREE Resource Library!
Subscribe to my newsletter with 30K+ moms and get instant access to my resource library with ALL of my free files and printables! Once subscribed, I will send you a newsletter with all the details.
One thought on “Shrimp Penne Pasta with a Creamy Tomato Herb Sauce”
Do you use dried or fresh basil and oregano?